About This Course
Learn the foundations of the language for developers and data scientists interested in using Scala for data analysis.
- Tackle data analysis problems involving Big Data, Scala and Spark.
- Get a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the language, the tooling, and the development process.
- Develop a good appreciation of more advanced features.
- Module 1 - Introduction
- Introduction to Scala
- Creating a Scala Doc
- Creating a Scala Project
- The Scala REPL
- Scala Documentation
- Module 2 - Basic Object Oriented Programming
- Immutable and Mutable Fields
- Default and Named Arguments
- Module 3 - Case Objects and Classes
- Companion Objects
- Case Classes and Case Objects
- Apply and Unapply
- Synthetic Methods
- Immutability and Thread Safety
- Module 4 - Collections
- Collections overview
- Sequences and Sets
- Tuples and Maps
- Higher Order Functions
- Module 5 - Idiomatic Scala
- For expressions
- Pattern Matching
- Handling Options
- Handling Failures
- Handling Futures
Recommended skills prior to taking this course
- Experience with Java (preferred), Python, or another object-oriented language.
- No previous Scala knowledge is required.
- No previous experience with Data Science concepts is required. These concepts will be explained as needed.